Wednesday 2 January 2008

London for Havana

[As this entry is backdated, I wanted to just add a little intro to the following posts. Whilst I was in Cuba I kept a paper journal of my travels. I thought it might be useful and sort of an informal resource for some the presentations I have been asked to make on the trip.

It is important for me to gratefully acknowledge the Scottish Ecological Design Association for awarding me the 2007 Krystyna Johnson Student Travel Award, without which I could not have made this journey.

The purpose of these entries is not to be a completely technical report nor is it purely a personal journal. I hope that it comes across as a bit of both.]

I left London in the very early hours from Sara's (my friend Yanos' sister from Newcastle) flat near Canary Wharf and caught the night bus to Trafalgar Square at 3:30 am. Despite lots of planning the day before, I had forgot to get enough change for the two bus journies. Hence, when I arrived at Trafalgar Square I didn't have change for the bus I was planning on taking to Victoria Station. The 24 hour TESCO Express was closed for renovations so I was forced to walk. Despite the setback, I still arrived at Victoria in enough time to catch the 5:00 am Gatwick Express. Arriving at Gatwick at 5:30 am, I still had to wait over an hour as there was only one person working the checkin desk for Cubana. The long queues and rediciously security measures always remind me of how much I hate air travel.

The flight to Havana seemed extremely long compared to other transatlantic crossings I have made. The plane was an older Boeing 767, chartered from a Spanish company, was a bit clunky, but suitable.

A mistake on the Cubana website showed my flight arrive an hour late, when in fact it had arrived about fifteen minutes early. This resulted in Dale (my aunt's newphew who lives in Havana) arriving at the airport a bit late. I'm glad he was early, as I was beginning to become a bit nervous given the general lack of English speakers I envisioned trying to explain my story to.

Dale had arranged for me to stay at his friend Juilo's, house. After getting settled in Julio showed me and three other Canadians around Old Havana. It is an amazing city, reminds me of where one might picture pirates, very Spanish colonial, preserved in a different way than is found in California or Mexico.

The flat where I am staying is lovely. It has three bedrooms with large kitchen, living room and dining room. Julio also has a very nice 1956 Chevy, which currently has carb problems, typical single bbl Rochester. It is a shame that he can't even pick up a two bbl Rochester, much better performance. I am going to give him a hand fixing it on Saturday.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Enjoying the fact that this is a personal and professional account of the trip. Muy entertaining thus far.