Tuesday 8 January 2008

first time at FANJ

I was able to have a brief meeting with Roberto Sanchez of FANJ. He operates the 'Programa de Desarrado Local Sustentable' (excuse my horrid transcription of the Spanish) or PRODUS. Roberto isn't quite as fluent in English as Miguel or Julio, but was quite good compared to the average Cuban.

I was able to buy a copy of his book, co-authored by Carrie Cruz, whom I also met and shook hands with but does not speak English. I was told Carrie has a wealth of experience and would be essential to speak with, if I wanted to learn even more about the programme. Once again... I really wish I spoke Spanish.

The book, entitled 'Agriculture in the City: A Key to Sustainability in Havana, Cuba" was published in English as it was part of an IDRC research project. [For my non-Canadian readers, IDRC is the International Development Research Centre, a Canadian Crown Corporation, owned and operated by the Crown (government). They aid research in developing countries to help people there apply technology appropriately.] I was able to purchase a copy of the book for just $5 CUC. It is a very good read.

The unfortunate part of our conversation was that I found out I could not actually visit many of the places I would like to see as my tourist visa restricted my access. In order to visit any 'official place of business' ie: anything that gets money from the Cuban state, I would need to have a research visa. Frusteratingly, this visa is not difficult to get, it just requires time, approximately 6-8 weeks. Had I known this, I would have made the appropriate preparations before I came.

I made arrangements to come back and meet Roberto Perez, an international programme co-ordinator with FANJ. Roberto Sanchez says he speaks much better English, although I could easily understand Roberto S!

No comments: