Tuesday 4 October 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes

This is one of my grandmother's recipes, of which I am very fond. Like most of Grammie's recipes I can never get these to turn out as good as hers. This is likely due to the fact that my grandmother NEVER used recipes so every recipe we do have from her is sort of like a jotted-down transcript. Similarly, when we did copy a recipe out of her book, we got the original inspiration for what she actually made (never as good).

So in memory of Grammie (the late Kaye Smith), here it is:

Oatmeal Pancakes

3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk (or sour regular milk with some vinegar)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg (separated)

Put the oats in the buttermilk and let soak at least 15 minutes (if you are using the large flake oats, go a bit longer). Beat egg yolk and stir into mushy oats then add sugar, baking soda and flour; mix together. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture. Fry as smallish pancakes on a lower heat than normal as they'll be pretty thick.

As much as I love this recipe, it doesn't get made as often because I always have a problem getting the the egg white beaten stiff (I don't have electric beaters). This recipe makes enough for two people and no more. It easily doubles and in fact the egg whites are easier to beat with twice as much.

2 comments:

Lunicrax said...

Hey! This is pretty similar to Havreplätar (http://fenomenalarecept.blogspot.com/2008/07/havreplttar.html), except that you don't have to beat the eggwhite separately in our version! (I need to try your pikelets!)

Steve said...

They are super similar! Yours sounds much easier and knowing my grandmother's methods (she only cooked with the simplest of tools), probably more how she did them.

I would also suggest trying the cornmeal ones as well as the pikelets. They are super easy (not that the pikelets are hard).

PS: I heard you can get pink cornmeal in the South West, that would make cool pancakes.