Tuesday 15 September 2009

book tokens and croatia

So, last year I was asked to give a lecture to the first year design students. I quite enjoyed this experience overall and nearly forgot that I had been paid for it.

Initially I was to be paid cash-money, but later due to financial constraints at DoJ I was told I'd be receiving book tokens. Not a problem.

So, after nearly year of forgetting to drop by Christine's office, I finally picked them up - sixty pounds!! Now add on the £20 in book tokens I have left over from Christmas, that's £80. Time to get myself some free books.

In other news, I'm working on a paper for a design conference in Croatia. It will be on food orbits. I think I'm going to write something on here about my thoughts on visual thinking - to be a bit of teaser for the paper.

Because papers need teasers.

Goodness, papers need a free toy or sweet inside them.

I often wonder if there is an in-built catharsis with academic papers - I am going to sit in my academic dungeon of torture for days concocting this rancid elixir of poison so that those few people determined enough to read it will then feel the pain I had in its preparation. The conference being the ultimate showcase of tragedies - the cathartic event. We all walk away cleansed.

...but I'll get to go to Croatia. So it'll be fun. Plus Seaton will be coming and possibly on the Orient Express. I'll be arriving on RyanAir or EasyJet, so my sins will be atoned for before the conference.

Right, must get on to work. The submission date is in December, full papers only.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You get to go to Croatia? I am so jealous! I can no longer talk to you...

Lunicrax said...

You have perfectly managed to describe the paper writing agony (including that of reading it) in just a few sentences. Hilarious! The same is true for theses btw... good luck with the paper!